karebear

Thursday, October 21, 2004

The Red Sox and gas station eccentricies

So, I had to be at work this morning at quarter to seven. Consequently I did what came naturally and stopped at my local gas station for coffee along the way. However, that idea came before 'hon, sweetie, baby' guy decided to ring me up. Permit me if you will, to count the number of times I was called one of those three adjectives in the amount of time it took me to fill up my cup and pay...FOUR!!! Now, I know this may not seem like much, but I do not get called pet names very often - especially endearing ones from complete strangers. The reason I bring this up this morning, is that this is not the first time this has happened recently. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not worth blowing out of proportion...but when did it become acceptable for men (especially strange ones) to refer to women in such a derogatory fashion? When did being impolite become the norm?

Now, how about them Sox, eh? I must confess, I cheered on the Yankees this summer when I watched them slaughter the Mets - but watching Boston open a can of whoop arse on them was nearly as satisfying as a Ruth Chris steak. NYC is my fave city, but Boston comes in a close second - especially since they haven't been to a world series in, ohhh, say FOUR HUNDRED YEARS! It was exciting. It even provoked some mild tingling. May we all go down to our favorite bar, where everybody knows our name, and salute the Sox. Give'em hell boys!

My last confession of the day is my true anticipation of this weekend. I've got a lot goin on, and I'm as happy about it as a cat on a hot tin roof. (Whatever that is.) I get to hang out with all (well, most) of my favorite friends in the next couple of days and that is just SSWWEEEETT! It should be an interesting three days. Oh yes, very interesting. *dancin a little jig*

Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home